Sunday, January 5, 2014

First Project of 2014

Bailey Island Hobo bag from Aunties Two Patterns (Pattern No AT2444)

Julie and I saw this bag made up at the Diablo Quilters show in the fall.  I decided to give it a try today, and managed to complete it start to finish pretty much while everyone else in the Bay Area was watching the 49ers game. 

I made a major modification -- each of those stripes are 2 1/2 inch strips with edges folded in to the center, basically a four-layer strip. However, the pattern also called for including a strip of batting in each, and folding the fabric and batting up into a think little bundle.  I wanted to use fabrics I already had on hand -- and succeeded at that -- and I had the batting too, but I just cheaped out. I didn't want to use so much batting -- 2 1/2 " x 12 = 30" x 42"... Seemed like a lot, so I just left it out.  I am perfectly happy with the results.

Sewing note:  I was amazed how much thread this thing used.  I guess when you zig-zag 24 strips together, and then do some more sewing after that, that's what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment